Primary network operating system
DePauw’s primary network operating system is Microsoft Active Directory, which is compatible with both Macintosh and Windows computers. Active Directory enables faculty, staff, and students easy and secure access to network drives (e.g. P:, I:, U:, W:) not only on-campus, but also from off-campus at your home.
|P: or Personal Drive||The P: or Personal Drive provides 500MB of storage space on the network for faculty, staff, and students to use for their own school or work-related purposes. All materials added to the P: drive are viewable only by the individual.|
|I: or Instructional Drive||The I: or Instructional Drive provides storage space on the network for instructors to use in teaching courses. An I: drive folder is automatically created for every course offered through the Registrar’s Office that both the instructor and students in the course can access. Learn more…|
|U: or University Drive||The U: or University Drive provides storage space on the network for departmental use that is accessible only faculty and staff.|
|W: or Web Drive||The W: or Web Drive enables faculty, staff, and students to publish personal and professional websites. All materials added to the W: drive are viewable by anyone on the world wide Web. The W: drive provides 250MB of storage space on the network. Learn more…|
Access rights or permissions enable users to view and/or make changes to folders on the network. Read-only access enables users to read the contents of the folder, but does not allow them to make changes. Read/write access not only enables users to read content, but also enables them to make changes or modify content. This includes adding, renaming, and deleting files.
Connecting to network drives
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
DePauw’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) enables faculty, staff, and students to securely access the network from off-campus using a Web browser that has an active Internet connection. After connecting to the VPN, connecting to your network drives is the same as if you were on-campus.
- VPN licenses are limited. We recommend that you download the file(s) you need to access, and then close your VPN connection so others may access the VPN.
- VPN access is limited to a one hour session.
- The VPN will automatically log you out after 15 minutes of inactivity.
This article explains:
- Wired and wireless connections in residence halls and University-owned living units.
- How you can request the activation of a wired data jack.
This article explains:
- How to connect to wireless access on-campus
- DePauw’s policy on personal wireless access points
- Additional resources on wireless
- Calling us at (765) 658-4294.
- Emailing us at HelpDesk@depauw.edu.
- Visiting us on the lower level of the Student Union Building during our regular office hours of Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.